Friday, March 10, 2017

cashew snack

Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live in.  -unknown

I made a snack for my granddaughter Violet's baby shower. I wanted to nourish her mother and indirectly her growing body.  

I mixed equal amounts olive oil and tupelo honey (1/4 cup each), together with light gray celtic sea salt (1 T plus 1 t), and powdered cayenne pepper (2 t). I relished the sight of the colorful syrup as I poured it over 4 cups of organic cashews. I smiled with satisfaction as I coated each cashew with the sticky goodness - my hands glistening -  as the half moon fruits lay on the parchment paper that covered the green baking sheet. Delightful aroma filled my home as the cashews roasted for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Why this mix? 
The cashews are a good source of monounsaturated fats (heart health), copper (to aid iron absorption for the developing brain), and magnesium (bone development).
The olive oil is again a source of  good fats (brain, skin, heart health). The tupelo honey has a light sweetness that offers an immediate and sustained energy boost for Zarah, Violet's mother. The cayenne is known for it's stimulating effect on digestion.
The grey celtic salt, beyond its crystal like subtle beauty, contains sodium (a major component for muscle and nerve development and iron).



No comments:

Post a Comment