Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Royal Jelly


Learning is the beginning of wealth. Learning is the beginning of health. Learning is the beginning of spirituality. Searching and learning is where the miracle process all begins. 
-Jim Rohn


I like when I find research* that supports a health habit that I have adopted based on experience but little substantiating information. Royal jelly has been a health food store staple on behalf of anti-aging for over 50 years.  Much of the information supporting its health promoting attributes has been antidotal.  Its popularity has been inconsistent, often dependent on the current infomercials which unfortunately stained its reputation with unrealistic promises and inflated prices. Nevertheless, Royal jelly is the food of queen bees that is harvested like honey from the hive. Its rich chemical make-up includes a rare fatty acid (10-HDA), protein, minerals, and B vitamins.¹ Royal jelly is 67% water, 12.5% protein, 11% monosaccharaides, 5% fatty acids. It also contains many trace minerals, some enzymes, antibacterial and antibiotic components.² Several years ago, when I was working at Akin’s Natural Foods in Tulsa, Oklahoma, an 82 year old gentleman told me that he had been using Royal jelly daily since he was a child. His mother reportedly used it to help manage his asthma and he kept the habit throughout his long life. I listened to his words as I marveled at his flawless, wrinkle free skin.  Royal jelly has been attributed to increased collagen production that promotes healthy skin, occasionally Royal jelly can be found as an ingredient in cosmetics.  It was then that I began adding a teaspoon of royal jelly to my daily routine - a decision I will carry on as I continue walking my path to health.

Research:  Effect of royal jelly ingestion for six months on healthy volunteers Morita H, Ikeda T, Kajita K, Fujioka K, Mori I, Okada H, Uno Y, Ishizuka T Nutrition Journal 2012, 11:77 (21 September 2012)[Abstract] [Provisional PDF]
1 Herbal Research Foundation

2 Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment